What Is The Differences Between Lion And Tiger
Lions and Tigers are the most feared big cats in the jungle. Many people always wonder which is greater than the other, however, there are many differences between them. The both of them are among the five big cats, the three others are; Jaguar, leopard and snow leopard. All these big cats are strong predators and they are very much feared in their various territories.
Lions typically inhabit the savanna grassland, although they can stay in the bush or forests. Lions are unusually social compared to other big cats. Male of Lions are very unique and easily recognised because of their mane (the hair on their head). Lions, particularly the face of a male lion, is one of the most recognised symbols in human culture. Humans depict lions in literature, sculptures, paintings and national flags.
Tigers are native to the mainland of Asia, they are the largest feline species( cat family that includes cheetah, puma, jaguar, leopard, lion, lynx, tiger and domestic cat. Bengal Tigers are the most common tiger species, they are approximately 80% of the entire tiger population and you can find them in India, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Myanmar and Nepal. Tigers are the national animal of India. Tigers are an endangered species because majority of Tigers are currently living in captivity.
These are some differences between lions and tigers.
(1) Some male lions exceed 250kg in weight, lions are the largest cat species after Tigers. Tigers are the largest cat species, they weigh up to 420kg. Females of both species usually weigh lesser
(2) Lions have nearly become a threatened species, while Tigers are already endangered.
(3) Lions are faster than Tigers, lions can run between 40 to 50 miles per hour, but an adult Tiger can run 30 to 40 miles per hour. One subspecies of Tigers that’s called Amur, can run up to 50 miles per hour.
(4)Lions hunt in groups, mostly at night, but Tigers hunt alone at night.
(5) The brain of a tiger is larger than the brain of a lion.
6) Lions hunt medium or large animals. They hunt gazelles, zebras, wildebeest, impala, warthog, hartebeest etc, while Tigers hunt large animals like deer, buffalo and wild pigs, but they also hunt fishes, monkeys, birds, reptiles and sometimes, baby elephants. Occasionally, tigers kill leopards and other tigers.
7) Tigers have a more powerful striking strength than Lions
8) Male Lions live up to 12 years, while their females live between 15/16 years. Male Tigers live between 15 to 20 years, while their females live between 20 to 26 years.
9) Lionesses measure at least 4.6 to 5.7 ft and Lions measure between 5.6 to 8.2. Tigers measure between 6 to 10 ft.
10) Both Lions are Tigers get matured between 24 to 27 months in captivity, and between 36 to 46 months in the wild.
History has said that back in the days when people used Lions and Tigers for fight sports, it was very difficult to tell which animal was stronger.